Lentils and chickpeas are one of the few pure foods created by nature which you eat straight from the pod. The grains are simply cleaned whole from the pod or split in two, packaged and ready for you to use. No factory modification of the grains occurs. Just pop them in boiling water until “al dente” or “soft” and combine with other flavours for a perfectly healthy meal.
Lentils and chickpeas are naturally healthy:
- Low fat
- Low sugar
- Low GI (glycemic index)
- Cholesterol free
- High in soluble fibre
- Gluten free
- Whole grain
- Rich in protein and complex carbohydrates
- Excellent source of B vitamins (folate, thiamine and niacin)
- Naturally contain phytoestrogens which may play a role in cancer prevention
Body benefits of lentils and chickpeas:
- Their low GI and high fibre helps your body feel fuller for longer, reducing the desire to eat more.
- Eating plenty of lentils and chickpeas can lower your body’s blood cholesterol levels, a good thing for your heart. Your risk of coronary heart disease is reduced due to the high fibre, low saturated fat and lack of cholesterol in these grains.
- Your body’s risk of developing Type 2 diabetes can be reduced by eating plenty of whole grains (including lentils and chickpeas), fruit, vegetables and low-fat milk. These grains reduce blood glucose levels rising as much as they do after consuming high GI food such as rice (GI=45-104), potatoes (GI=54-101) or white bread (GI=67-87). Lentils and chickpeas have low GI levels (GI=18-52 for lentils and GI=36 for chickpeas).
- Lentil and chickpea grains are gluten free so are a great choice in the diets of people who need to avoid or minimise gluten consumption.
- Lentils and chickpeas are rich in protein so can be used as a whole meal for those wanting to reduce or eliminate their consumption of meat.
- Lentils and chickpeas naturally fertilise soils, by replenishing nitrogen, inputting to a sustainable cropping system
- Lentils are drought tolerant
- Lentils and chickpeas are not genetically modified
BACK TO GRAIN PRODUCTS